April 15 has been the annual deadline for paying taxes in the U.S. since 1955. Not this year. Add America’s Tax Day to the list of events that have been postponed as governments, businesses and people reorder day-to-day life to respond to the
1. When do Americans have to pay their taxes?
The Treasury Department is giving individuals and corporations an additional three months -- until
2. Does this apply to state tax returns as well?
Not uniformly. Several states, including Maryland, California, Connecticut and Oregon have delayed some deadlines, giving taxpayers more time to submit the paperwork and come up with the cash. Other states are still formulating their plans and deadlines. The American Institute of Certified Public Accountants is keeping a running list of state and city tax deadline extensions.
3. Can I get an extension?
In a normal year, the Internal Revenue Service will atomatically grant a six-month filing extension, no questions asked, giving Americans until October 15 to file their returns. But the extension does not apply to the money owed, so interest and penalties accrue once the payment deadline -- April 15 normally -- passes. Whether extensions will be so leniently granted this year, and how long they’d be for, are still to be determined. Last year, a record 15 million taxpayers requested the six-month filing extension. Accountants had
4. What will this mean for the U.S. economy?
5. Will tax refunds be delayed?
Though the IRS is
The Reference Shelf
- Related QuickTakes on what you
need to knowabout the virus, efforts to contain it, whether it’s seasonal, whether to wear a mask, the quest for treatments and a vaccine, and the debate over travel bans.
- Some history on April 15.
- Here’s more deadline delays for those who are victims of natural disasters.
- Here’s the form to fill out if you want a six-month extension to file.
- The IRS has a tool to update you status of your tax refund.
To contact the reporter on this story:
To contact the editors responsible for this story:
Laurence Arnold, Laurie Asséo
© 2020 Bloomberg L.P. All rights reserved. Used with permission.